- This event has passed.
March 2 - March 3
The OCR is excited to partner with The Office of the Alternate Defense Counsel and the State Office of the Public Defender to offer a 2-day virtual training on direct file and transfer cases. This training is for attorneys and social workers who work on these cases.
- Lived Experience Expert Cheyenne Babbitt – What Happens to Teenage Girls Serving Lengthy DOC Sentences
- Lael E. H. Chester, Director, Emerging Adult Project at the Columbia University Justice Lab – YOS Reform Report to the Legislature, best practices in working with emerging adults in the criminal legal system
- Dr. Lila Kazemian, Professor, John Jay College of Criminal Justice – Incorporating Desistance Data into Your Presentations
- Dr. Shameka Stuart, Speech Language Pathologist – The Confluence of Cognitive and Communication Disorders and Youth Involvement in Adult Carceral Spaces
- Lauryn Tully and Katie Hecker – Nuts and bolts of direct file and transfer law and procedure
- Amy Kelso and Morgen Archer – What to do in the first hours, days, and weeks
- Kevin Bishop – Pushing back against the false crime wave narrative
- Stacie Colling, Hannah Proof and Hollis Whitson – Using data to persuade
- Nicole Duncan and Lindsay Sandoval – Litigating Race in Direct File and Transfer Cases
- Tim McArthur – Creative mitigation presentations